Here's a "simple" content update process for the occasional author or even power user. Basically edit from your website publication, add new multimedia or components from the hyperlink pop-up, and publish the component when done.
- Page is already published and component exists on the page (this applies for the typical page-with-component-presentations setup)
- Most of your content is in a "main" content component.
- You manage components and pages (as a content "editor")
- Your rights and permissions give you access to the right folders
- Content and pages may exist in separate publications (typically "020 Content" and "040 Site" or similar).
- The update may include new (text) components or multimedia
Here we go...
Update (9-Dec, 2012): Step 0. If you have a page with metadata and Component Presentations that you like, make a copy of it first. Then update and change according to the following. You'll just have to publish the page at least once.
- In your "Site" publication (where you typically publish from), open your content component.* Select "Yes" if prompted to edit parent.
- Make updates in your main "details" or "body" field.
- If making a link to another component or multimedia, select some text, press the hyperlink button, and select type "component." Find your other component.
- If you haven't created the linked-to item select the "create" tab from your folder and create one or more of the following:
- new component
- new multimedia component, or
- upload multimedia (if you want a new "Default Multimedia" component with the same name).